I bought a package of dry green lentils last year and never got around to making anything with it. I bought it because its a great source of fiber and protein. We are always looking of new healthy things to spice up our diet around here at the Herrington casa.
So last night I made a lentil soup that was amazing. It was soooo filling that I didn’t even need to eat lunch today! LOL.
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups dry lentils
14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
4 cups water
4 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
handful of spinach
salt & pepper to taste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 bay leaf
1/2 pound Italian sausage (can leave this out to make it a vegetarian soup!)
- In a large dutch oven or soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown ground sausage meat.
- Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender.
- Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, and add water, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts.
- Stir in vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.